Map of Phelps Park with wetlands highlighted near bottom
A small estimated .46 of an acre south of the Aboretum is remnant wetlands, which is most unusual to find in an urban park. At one time a stream flowed through this area on the way to the Hackensack River.
The park boasts many fine amenities typical of urban parks such as baseball fields, basketball and tennis courts, picnic area and a swimming pool. But the feature that stands out is the 1 acre Arboretum. Phelps Park is the only park in Teaneck’s park system to feature an Arboretum.
Arboretum Area Phelps Park
This section of the park (located in the most northern section of the park near River Road) was designated an Arboretum in 2002.
Bench in Phelps Park Arboretum
It makes sense for this park to contain an arboretum. It is named after William Phelps who once owned half of Teaneck and was fond of planting trees.
The Arboretum features an estimated 150 trees. Most of the trees consist of varieties of Oak such as Red Oak, Scarlet Oak, and White Oak. Other trees include:
Bergen County’s Saddle River County Park is a wonderful 577 acre linear greenway which parallels the Saddle River. There are six park areas and a historic site which are all linked by a paved path which may be used by bicycles, pedestrians and roller skating. The total length of the trail is six miles. Mileage signs appear every tenth of a mile on the path to help see how far you have progressed.
Fishing is allowed throughout the park with a license at the trout stocked Saddle River and Ho-Ho-Kus Brook as well as the three ponds found throughout the park. (The Ho-Ho-Kus Brook is trout stocked from Whites Pond in Waldwick until its confluence with the Saddle River).
The Ho-Ho-Kus Brook flows to the east of this section of the park. The brook has no mow zones to help clean the water and provide habitat for wildlife.
Heading south from the Glen Rock Area will go to the Dunkerhook Area of the park in Paramus and the Fair Lawn Area which features soccer and a section for hangers/gliders.
Saddle River County Park Dunkerhook Area
Dunkerhook (which means “Dark Corner”) was named by the Dutch who first settled in this area in the early 18th Century. This section of the park features a beautiful waterfall at the confluence of the Ho-Ho-Kus Brook with the Saddle River in addition to a picnic area and playground.
Waterfall at confluence of Ho-Ho-Kus Brook and Saddle River
Continuing south past Dunkerhook is the Fair Lawn area of Saddle River County Park. Near the end of the Fair Lawn area the trail passes underneath Route 4 and approaches the Easton Tower.
The Easton Tower was initially built in 1900 to pump water for the estate of Edward Easton who made his fortune as a founder in the recording industry and was president of the Columbia Phonograph Company. Water from the tower was pumped to several fountains. Construction of nearby Route 208 divided the estate and isolated the tower. The tower was acquired by Bergen County in 1956 and restored a few years later. An earlier red mill tower which stood in its place sometimes leads to the present tower being mistakenly called the “Red Mill”.
Otto C. Pehle Area
Once pass the Easton Tower, the trail leads to the Otto C. Pehle Area in Saddle Brook. This section features a pond, model boating (permit required), ball fields, playground and picnic areas.
Pond at Otto C. Pehle Area
Canada Geese approaching the pond at Otto C. Pehle Area